Background to the programme
Since 2009 "Time for Parents" has been guiding parenthood. At the request of parents and professionals who wanted to meet other parents and benefit from additional support, the association set up training sessions in 2012.
Objectives of the programme
- To distinguish between one's own history and others without judgement.
- To understand the culture of parents from other countries in order to standardise their educative practices and French practices.
- To gain a better understanding of mothers and fathers today.
- To develop the ability to listen, communicate and lead a group (of parents).
- Before the training started, 5 meetings have been organised with the parents and the professionals in order to define the objectives and the expectations of the program.
- The training is free for the participants in exchange for a reciprocal commitment, that's to say to be involved in the life and work of the association.
- It takes place over 12 days with 6 modules of 2 days. These modules are divided into 3 parts: "Parenthood and interculturalism", "What is it to be a mother or a father?" and "Leading a group, communicating and listening". These sessions are given by outside professionals such as psychologists, anthropologists, sophrologists, teachers and social workers.
- The training brings together 7 parents and 7 professionals.
- This training is very participative and brings out the experiences of the participants.
- At the end of the training, a certificate is given to the parents.
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- Benefits of the professional and personal plan: better understanding of oneself, one's limits and greater tolerance (to not judge others but to accept them as they are. During the training the participants have appreciated the respect given to each other.)
- To evolve the practice of each participant, to highlight the skills of each parent with children in their care.
- Involvement of the participants in the development and in the future of the association.
The innovation manifested itself in the continuity of the training between different themes. The training is innovative in the domain of helping parents in the education of their children and also in its mixing of parents and professionals. Everybody is placed on the same level.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
In connection to the training, some partnerships have been developed, notably with the urban social centres of Sénart, the social stakeholders and volunteer parents.
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
The weak point concerned the reciprocal engagement as not all of the participants have indicated how they were going to become more involved in the life of the association.
Suggestions for future improvement :
- The reciprocal exchange.
- Work on clarifying between the individual objectives of people and the objectives of the training must be undertaken in order to reduce misunderstandings and difficulties.
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
Reasons for Success
- The training needs to take place in small groups in order to be more effective in moving between the different modules proposed.
- It is essential that the setting of objectives for the training is completed beforehand with the participants.
Advice for a general expansion of the programme
- To work beforehand in order to identify expectations and needs.
- To construct objectives with interested parties and clear points.
- To evaluate the training and its efficiency.
- To anticipate the impact and the future use of the training.