Background to the programme
CONSOTAB is one of the actions tested as part of the model project "Lyon Smart Community" which was conducted in the Confluence neighbourhood in Lyon by the metropolis of Greater Lyon, Toshiba and NEDO, a Japanese agency who supports innovation. This project, unique in Europe, aims to make Confluence a model neighbourhood in terms of energy performance by modelling the city of tomorrow. NEDO has invested 50 million Euros in it.
At the request of Grand Lyon, its supervisory body, GRANDLYON HABITAT decided to participate in the CONSOTAB experiment by testing the device with tenants of the Perrache residence in the Confluence neighbourhood. The residence dates back to the 1930s and should be renovated in October 2015.
Objectives of the programme
• To provide tenants with a reliable monitoring system of energy consumption which enables the monitoring of their consumption in detail and the reduction their energy bills
• To support residents in putting eco-friendly behaviour into practice through human support and advice provided by the tablet according to the tenant's consumption.
• To prepare the tenants for the renovation work and a change of usage related to energy consumption
• Free distribution of digital tablets from April to October 2014; The tablets are made available until 31st December 2017
The tablet shows the consumption of water, electricity and gas from the 1st of the month after the date of the consultation. The results are displayed in Euros and give details by electrical appliance, a refrigerator or hotplate for example. The tenant compares his consumption with a theoretical base derived from data provided by Grand Lyon Habitat. They receive alerts to reduce their consumption if necessary. This theoretical base can be changed by the information on consumption from the month or the year before or by a fixed monthly amount.
• Installing of sensors on gas and water meters and a box connected to the electrical panel.
• Management of the Social Project: Implementation of human support for tenants entrusted to GRANDLYON HABITAT at the Equitia firm:
- The first visit to the tenants' home in January 2014: help with getting to grips with the tablet, training in the use and understanding of the tablet
- 2nd visit in June 2014: analysis of the first results and personalised advice in relation to these results
Actions to come:
• In October 2015, renovation work will be undertaken in the home. This should allow a decrease of 80% in actual expenses related to energy through thermal insulation and
an efficient heating system.
• Awareness actions planned in September 2015 intended for residents: breakfast organised on the theme of energy saving
• A teaching apartment will be set up.
• The next home visit is scheduled for the end of 2015 to evaluate the use of the tablet and the impact on energy consumption
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
The tenants are volunteers: 167 households out of 275 have agreed to be equipped with a tablet.
In June 2015, 41 of the 93 households met are satisfied with the how useful the tablet is.
The experiment is still in progress. The visit at the end of 2015 will enable us to have the first figures on the energy savings achieved by the residents through the use of their tablet.
A detailed and innovative monitoring system of consumption in the form of a tablet thanks to which the residents take action on each device in the house.
The establishment of important human support, for a period of three years, before, during and after the renovation, will allow figures to be obtained on the reduction of energy consumption.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
• Greater Lyon Metropole
• SPL Lyon Confluence (developed by Confluence)
• Cabinet Equitia
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
A complex project in terms of governance and technology.
Cultural differences between partners. Difference in objectives: to prove technological performance for Toshiba, to be useful to the tenants for GrandLyon HABITAT.
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
GrandLyon HABITAT is very much involved, including the modelling of the tablet (data provided for theoretical base).
The implementation of human support is essential, particularly for the elderly (27% of tenants are over 70 years old). A relationship of trust must be established between the carers and tenants to motivate them for the duration of the experiment.
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
Indispensable educational support