Background to the programme
The Villa Mais D'ici, an association under the 1901 law, is defined as a local cultural wilderness. It was created in 2003 to allow live performance companies (shows that take place live in front of an audience) to have a place to develop their artistic activities.
Objectives of the programme
To be a place of artistic creation and to provide premises which welcome external residents.
- Pooling of resources to house forty artistic organisations.
- Themed events organised several times a year,
- Local Cultural Projects
- Home for artistic companies to create projects
Quantitative and qualitative results from the implemented actions
- 2003: between 10 and 15 permanent residents. 2013: 45 permanent residents (or 120 people) in street arts, film, music, visual arts.
- For local cultural activities (2013): Project "City Street Memories" 80 adolescents; Projection "Memories of the street" 128 inhabitants; "10 Year Birthday" 3000 people; 3-day festival "Knowledge Celebration Day" 4500 people; workshops "Roman photos» 5 young people from the Judiciary Police; "Discovery" Workshop 45 students.
- More and more people are coming to explore the place during the open house. Over the years a link has been built between the association and the residents, the "living together" has increased. Every Thursday, a meal prepared by a volunteer cook is available to residents and the neighbourhood.
The Villa Mais D'Ici is special because it's a place for both creation and sharing which is open to its surroundings. Moments to meet and discuss are organised.
Partnership(s) developed in the context of the programme
High Schools in the city, Freres Poussiere, Youth Houses and the Media Library in Aubervilliers, A Travers Le Ville, OMJA
Difficulties and/or obstacles encountered during the programme’s implementation :
Dilapidated buildings (former factory) significant renovation work to bring it to standard
- Sponsorship search for investment
- Complicated associative status due to taxes. A desire to move towards a cooperative enterprise
Solutions used to overcome the difficulties and/or obstacles :
Renovation work organised to keep the place in order but it remains a significant amount.
Suggestions for future improvement :
Pooling of workstations (administrative or technical) so that employees can work for other organisations internally or the city. This would allow the creation of full time posts (currently 5 employees represent the equivalent of 3.5 full time workers).
Summary of factors responsible for the programme’s success :
- The place is open to its surroundings, integrated in the neighbourhood.
- Significant voluntary aspect: residents and volunteers are invested in the project, both in the location and in the implementation of the work.
- The project has evolved over the years: the primary purpose of having a place to develop the arts was complemented by workshops open to external audiences.
- Establish a democratic, associative operation
- Remain open to what happens outside the wilderness